The Department maintains close relations with many organizations in the corporate sector and government sector. The organizations associated with the Department include all recognized audit firms, leading business organizations, professional accounting bodies and government departments in Sri Lanka. These links have proved very useful in finding employment and training placements for our students. Further, in recognition of the quality of the Accounting degree, a number of professional bodies have granted exemptions from their examinations.
The Department of Accounting has already signed six Memoranda of Understanding (MOU) with the following institutes and organisations to focus on areas such as mutual collaborative initiatives to uplift the accounting education and profession in Sri Lanka.
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Sri Lanka (CA Sri Lanka)
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
- Institute of Certified Management Accountants of Sri Lanka (ICMA)
- Ernst and Young (E&Y)
- BDO Partners
- HSBC Electronic Data Processing (Lanka) Pvt Ltd (HSBC EDPL)
- Nihal Hettiarachchi and Company (NH & Co)
- Deloitte Sri Lanka (SJMS Associates)
- Hatton National Bank (HNB)
Endowed Ernst and Young Professorship in Accounting
Under the MOU signed with E&Y, the Endowed Ernst and Young Professorship in Accounting was created in 2008 to attract senior academics employed in Sri Lanka or overseas for short stints of service in the Department. The Department believes that input from academics of repute will greatly enhance its academic and research culture. The following academics have held this position.
- Professor M. W. Wickramarachchi (02.10.2008 – 30.09.2011)
BA (Hons.) (Econ.) (Vidyo.); MEc (Acct. & Fin. Mgt.) (New England); PhD (Com.) (DBAMU); DSc (Honoris Causa) (SJP); DSc (Honoris Causa) (SU); FPFA; FCMA; FCA (Chartered Accountant)
- Professor Asoka Gregory Liyanarachchi (02.05.2012 – 01.06.2012), (15.09.2014 -14.10.2014), (15.05.2015 – 14.06.2015), (15.06.2018 – 15.09.2018)
PhD (Otago); MAcc (Kansas); BCom (USJ); CA (New Zealand); CPA (Australia)
- Professor Prem Yapa (17.10.2016 -27.10.2016), (16.01.2017 – 03.02.2017)
PhD (UoW, Australia); MBA (Belgium); BCom (USJ); CPA (Australia)
Endowed KPMG Professorship in Accounting
Under the MOU signed with KPMG, the Endowed KPMG Professorship in Accounting was created in 2013 to attract senior academics employed in Sri Lanka or overseas for short stints of service in the Department. The following academics have held this position.
- Professor Stefan Schaltegger (25.01.2015 -31.01.2015)
PhD, is full professor for Management and Head of the Centre for Sustainability Management (CSM), Head of the MBA Sustainability Management at Leuphana University Lüneburg, Germany, Chairman of the Environmental and Sustainability Management Accounting Network (EMAN)
- Professor K B M Fonseka (06.11.2017 – to date)
PhD (PIM, SJP), MBA (Col), BSc (Col), FCMA, FCMA (UK)