Honoring an excellent academic history of more than half a century, the Department of Public Administration is known as “one and only academic unit” which offers the degree of Public Management within the national university system in Sri Lanka. The Department produces employable graduates with necessary knowledge, skills and positive attitudes, who can competently serve in the public, private and non-governmental organizations.
The degree programme is designed around the core components of Public Administration, Public Policy, Development Administration, Public Sector Economics, Constitution and Administrative Law, Public Sector Accounting, Political Science, Local Government, Rural Development and Research Methodology. Blending of interdisciplinary nature to the Public Management degree programme is done through the array of subjects such as Management Process, Human Resource Management, Organizational Behavior, Strategic Management, Accounting and Finance, Economics, Mathematics and Statistics, Computing and Information Systems. Besides the academic life, students often actively engage in internships, sports, students’ associations, field trips, cultural festivals, workshops as to develop their soft skills and means of entertainment.
Producing most number of graduates in the field of Public Management and being the pioneer in this specific field, we capitalize the value and the importance of our graduates. The Department is proud to be the only academic unit within the national university system of Sri Lanka, offering a Degree in Public Management while maintaining its standard of studies with professionalism and knowledge. We produce graduates with the skills needed to apply managerial knowledge to real world decision making, enabling their horizons of capacity to work as professional managers and administrators in both public and private sectors.
“Prosper lives through learning”
To nurture public managers of high caliber to enhance and enrich the productivity and attractiveness of public sector institutions while broadening our scope to serve the needs of non-public sector as well and the community as whole through pursuing and disseminating knowledge via teaching, scholarships, research & publications in the field of management.
- Providing a multidisciplinary professional education in management with special emphasis on Public Management that is academically rigorous and intellectually challenging.
- Creating a robust research culture.
- Establishing and maintaining effective and efficient Administrative and management system.
- Serving the community to maintain a higher social responsibility.
Specialty & significance
- The Department is proud to be the only academic unit within the national university system offering a Degree in Public Management while maintaining its standard of studies with professionalism and knowledge.
- Also, the Department of Public Administration has gained an eminent recognition with distinguished, residual memories over the past fifty five years remarking a honoured history.