ACADEMIC / PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
1.Ph.D. Public Administration and Management
Dissertation Title: Managerial Entrepreneurship in the Sri Lanka Administrative Service: A Multidisciplinary Perspective.
Graduate School of Public Administration, National Institute of Development Administration, Bangkok, Thailand. (1999-2003).
2. MA (Econ.) Ma (Econ.) Development Administration and Management
Dissertation Title: Dilemmas of Decentralization in Sri Lanka: Technical and Political Perspectives.
University of Manchester, U.K. (1991/92).
3. Postgraduate Diploma Development Studies University of Manchester, U.K. (1990/91).
4. B.Sc. Public Administration (Special) Degree, Public Administration Department of Public Administration, University of Sri Jayewardenepura Sri Lanka Second Class (Upper Division) (1981-1985).
- Senior Professor -Department of Public Administration, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
- Director of the Research Centre of Governance and Public Policy Department of Public Administration, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
- Secretary General – since 2015 Public Administration and Governance Network of Asia- Pacific Schools and Institutes of Public Administration and Governance
- Member – since 2004 Public Administration and Governance Network of Asia- Pacific Schools and Institutes of Public Administration and Governance
Administrative Positions Held
- Director, External Degree and Extension Courses, University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Sri Lanka (from September 2011 to October 2012)
- Head, Department of Public Administration,(
from 20th January 2004 to 20th January 2007).
- Acting Dean, Faculty of Management Studies and Commerce, University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Sri Lanka (from 6th September to 25th October 2006).
- Acting Head, Department of Public Administration, University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Sri Lanka (from 01st February 2002 to 01st March 2001).
- Coordinator, B.Sc. Management (General) External Degree Program (for the year 1997/ 1998 and 1998/1999)
- Coordinator, Diploma in Public Management (for the year 2005/2006, 2007/2008 and from 2009 to 2011).
- Coordinator, Staff Development Program, Faculty of Management Studies and Commerce, University of Sri Jayewardenepura ( for the year of 2001/2002).
- Coordinator of B. Sc Management (Public) External Degree Program (from 1st September 2009 to 2011).
- Most Outstanding Research Paper – 2019 Emerald Literati Awards, International Journal of Quality Assurance in Education, Emerald Publication 19th September, 2019
- Best Paper Award
- 15th International Conference on Business Management, FMSC, University of Sri Jayewardenepura 06th December 2018
- Research Awards -2017 Research Council, University of Sri Jayewardenepura 03rd October 2018
- Awarded for the continuous service more than 25 years to the University of Sri Jayewardenepura 09th March 2017
- Awarded as an Excellent Alumna of the year- 2016
- National Institute of Development Administration (NIDA), Thailand. 15th of September, 2016
- Administrative Reforms Reward for the Outstanding Contribution to NAPSIPAG , NAPSIPAG (Network of Asia- Pacific , Schools and Institutes of Public Administration and Governance) at Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India. , 07th December 2013
- The Full-time Thailand Graduate School of Public Government Scholarship Administration, National Institute of Development Administration (NIDA), Bangkok, Thailand. From August 1999 to December 2003
- Commonwealth Academic (Internal) Scholarship University of Manchester, U.K., From October 1990 to October 1992
- Projects as Instruments for Inducing Rural Development, Rural Development and Development (Sinhala Medium), Rural Development Research and Training Institution, Sri Lanka, 1999.
- An Integrated Approach to Poverty Reduction in Developing Countries, Sri Lanka Journal of Rural Development, Special Issue, Vol. 1, No 1, 2002.
- Managerial entrepreneurship in the Sri Lanka Administrative Service: a multidisciplinary perspective. Thesis (Ph.D.) (Development Administration) National Institute of Development Administration, Thailand, 2003
- Determinants of Public Entrepreneurship in the Sri Lanka Administrative Service, Amity Business Review, Vol. 2, July- December 2004.
- Entrepreneurship in delivery of service in public sector organization in Sri Lanka: Prospects for administrative and managerial reforms, NAPSIPAG Annual Conference, Beijing. Retrieved from http://www. Napsipag research. org/pdf/Entrepreneurship Service, 2005.
- Women, Development and Management, Economic Review Journal, Peoples’ Bank Publications, Sri Lanka, March 2006.
- Managerial Innovation in Delivery Service in Public Sector Organizations in Sri Lanka, Governance and Development edited by Salahuddin M. Aminuzzaman, Shrabon Printing Press, Dhaka, Bangladesh, September, 2006.
- An Evaluation of Samurdhi Programme in Sri Lanka (with Reference to Ten Villages in Panadura Divisional Secretariat, Governance and Poverty Reduction; Beyond the Cage of Best Practices edited by Amitha Singhe, Kapil kapoor, R. Bhattacharya, PHTI Learning Private Limited, New Delhi, India, 2009.
- Ethics as a Viable Strategy for Combating Public Sector Corruption in Sri Lanka, Strengthening Governance in Asia Pacific: Myths, Realities, and Paradoxes, edited by Sharif as- Sabar, Amita Singh, Raza Ahmad, jennifar Jalal, Macmillan Publishers, India, 2010.
- Entrepreneurship in Public Management: A Case Study Approach to Study Entrepreneurial Work in Sri Lanka Administrative Service. Journal Proceedings of International Conference on Business Management, 2006.
- Public and Private Sector Management: What Is the Difference? A Study Based On the Banking Sector in Sri Lanka. Journal Proceedings of International Conference on Business Management, 2009.
- Women Managers and their personal Barriers for Upward Mobility in Private and Public Sectors in Sri Lanka, The Kelaniya Journal of Management, University of Kelaniya, Vo.2, No.1 January – June 2013 (a joint paper).
- Administrative accountability in disaster Risk Management in Sri Lanka at the international workshop on “Can Laws make communities safer from disasters?” organized by the Transdisciplinary Disaster Research Programme of the Jawaharlal Nehru University, New delhi, India. 14-16 November, 2014.
- Sri Lankan Women Managers and their Situational Barriers: An Emerging Profile, (2015) Lakmini, V. K. Jayatilake, R. Lalitha S. Fernando, P. A. P. Samantha Kumara, Kelaniya Journal of Human Resource Management 7 (1), 77-104.
- Role of e- governance in Combating Corruption in the Public Sector. Economic Review Journal, Vol 40, Oct/ Nov 2014, People’s Bank Publication- April 2015.
- Factors Affecting Public Value of E-Government in Sri Lanka: An Empirical Study Based on the Ministry of Public Administration and Home Affairs. M.N. N .Sufna, R.L.S.Fernando (2015). 12th International Conference on Business Management (ICBM) 2015. Published and available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=2706974 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2706974.
- Public Value of E-Government: The Case of Ministry of Public Administration and Home Affairs in Sri Lanka. In I. Sodhi (Ed.), Trends, Prospects, and Challenges in Asian E- Governance (pp.139-159). IGI Global, 2016. By Sufna, Noor and R. Lalitha S. Fernando.
- Study on Involvement in Aesthetic Activities and Academic Performance of Undergraduates The Case of the Faculty of Management Studies and Commerce of University of Sri Jayewardenepura in Sri Lanka. N.G.D.G. Kaushalya, R.L.S. Fernando. 2015. Journal Proceedings of International Conference on Humanities and Social Sciences. Volume 1.
- “A Policy Framework for Poverty Reduction in Sri Lanka: A Governance Approach”, Journal of Global Studies in Economics, Vol 1, No 1, January-June 2015 by R. Lalitha. S. Fernando and P. I. Anuradha. (Indexed Journal Publication).
- Presenteeism: It’s Importance, Conceptual Clarifications, and a Working Definition, Werapitiya, Chandani and Opatha, H.H.D.N.P. and Fernando, R.L.S. published on journal of Science and Engineering Research, Volume 07, issue 2, February 2016. (Indexed Journal Publication).
- “An analysis of the Standards of the government websites of Sri Lanka: a comparative study on selected Asian countries”, Transforming Government: People, Process and Policy, Vol.10 Iss: 1, 2016 by Tharindu Ishanka Rajapaksha and R. Lalitha S. Fernando. (Indexed Journal publication).
- Public Sector Productivity: The case of Management Assistant Service of Ministry of Public Administration and Home Affairs in Sri Lanka. Published in International Journal of Recent Research in Social Sciences and Humanities, ISSN 23349 – 7831 (online), Vol 3, Issue 3, September 2016 (joint paper by M. D. M. Dissanayake and R. Lalitha S. Fernando).
- Managerial Innovation in the public Sector: An Exploratory Study on the State University Administration in Sri Lanka. Vidyodaya Journal of Management, Vol 02, Nom 01, August 2016.
- Pensioned investors should be created. National Pension Day 2016. Special Issue, October, 2016, Internet Journal of Pension.
- The Effect of Service Quality on Satisfaction apropos Service Recipients of Divisional Secretariats in Colombo District in Sri Lanka. Nayanananda Nilwala, Kennedy Gunawardana & R. Lalitha S. Fernando. Journal of Management and Sustainability; Vol. 7, No. 1; 2017, ISSN1925-4725 E-ISSN 1925-4733. Published by Canadian Center of Science and Education. (Indexed Journal Publication).
- Students’ Satisfaction in Higher Education (May 28, 2017). Weerasinghe, I.M.S and Fernando, R. L. S., American Journal of Educational Research, Vol. 5, No. 5, p. 533-539, 2017. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=2976013. (Indexed Journal Publication).
- Scale for Measuring Perceived Service Quality of Public Service in Sri Lanka: With Special Reference to Divisional Secretariats in Gampaha District, (2017). A.T. Wijesekera, R. Lalitha S. Fernando. Public Administration Research, Vol. 6, N0.2 (2017) ISSN 1927-517X (Print) ISSN 1927-5188. (Online) Copyright © Canadian Center of Science and Education. (Indexed Journal Publication).
- Factors Affecting Successful Implementation of Poverty Alleviation Policy in Sri Lanka, (2017). P. I Anuradha, R. Lalitha S. Fernando. Journal of Public Administration and Governance ISSN 2161-7104 2017, Vol. 7, No. 4, ISSN 2161-7104 Copyright © Macrothink Institute. (Indexed Journal Publication).
- Determinants of academic performance of undergraduates of the Faculty of management studies and commerce of the university of Sri Jayewardenepura in Sri Lanka ( 2017) , PEOPLE: International Journal of Social Sciences ISSN 2454-5899 1077 Available Online at: http://grdspublishing.org/ R. Lalitha S. Fernando Volume 3 Issue 2, pp. 1077- 1101 Date of Publication: 12th October 2017 DOI https://dx.doi.org/10.20319/pijss.2017.32.10771101. (Indexed Journal Publication).
- Critical factors affecting students’ satisfaction with higher education in Sri Lanka, Quality Assurance in Education, (Joint Paper by Weerasinghe, I.M.S, Fernando, R. L.S, (2018). Quality Assurance in Education, Vol. 26 Issue: 1, pp.115-130, ISSN: 0968-4883, https://doi.org/10.1108/QAE-04-2017-0014. (Indexed Journal Publication).
- “Ethical Leadership Measure for Public Service in Sri Lanka” (2018) by A. T Wijesekara, R. Lalitha S. Fernando, an abstract is Published in International Business Research Journal,Vol 11,No.7, Page 106-119.(Based on Doctoral Study) (Indexed Journal).
- Poverty Reduction Efforts in Sri Lanka: a study based on Siyambalanduwa Divisional Secretariat in Monaragala District (2018) by R.Lalitha S. Fernando,Oshani Gunasekara,E.A.I Kularathna and K.H.D Pathirana published in Educational Times 2 ,The Sunday Times on 8th July 2018 , Page 07 (News Paper article)
- Solid Waste Management of Local Governments in the Western Province of Sri Lanka: An Implementation Analysis (2018) by R. Lalitha S Fernando, Elsevier journal.”Waste Management – International Journal of Intergrated Waste Management, Science and Tecnology”, Vol.84, Page 194-203 (Indexed Journal)
- An assessment of the social science research environment of the Sri Lankan state university system (2018) by R. Lalitha S Fernando, D. W. K. Hemachandra, A. Muthulingam, Published in Vidyodaya Journal of Management – FMSC, University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Vol 04(2), Page 01-26, November 2018, Available at http://mgt.sjp.ac.lk/vjm/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/VJM-42-27-49.pdf
Books and Book Chapters
- Public Policy Analysis, (Sinhala Medium) 2009, Author Publication.
- Disaster Communication in Mitigating Climate Change in Sri Lanka: Problems and Prospects; A book chapter was written for a Book on Governance Approaches to Mitigation of and Adaptation to Climate Change in Asia: Issues and Impact of Climate Change in Asia: 2013, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Determinants of Managerial Innovation in the State University Administration in Sri Lanka, Millennium Development Goals and Community Initiatives in the Asia Pacific edited by Amita Singh, Eduardo T. Gonzalez and Stanley Bruce Thomson, Publisher; Springer, India 2013.
- A book was edited (Co-editor) titled Strategic Disaster Risk Management in Asia (2015) was edited by Huong Ha, R. Lalitha S. Fernando, Amir Mahmood, Springer, India 2015, ISBN: 978-81-322-2372-6 (Print) 978-81-322-2373-3 (Online)
- Co-editor of a book titled “Disaster Risk Management: Case Studies in South Asian Countries” by Huong Ha, R. Lalitha S. Fernando and Sanjeev Kumar Mahajan, by Business Expert Press (2018)
- The chapter Recovery After Disasters—Problems and Prospects: The Case of Koslanda- Meeriyabedda Landslide in Sri Lanka, of the book Disaster Risk Reduction: Community Resilience and Responses, eBook, published by Palgrave Macmillan, ISBN 978-981-10- 8844-5, ISBN 978-981-10-8845-2 were written jointly by R. Lalitha S. Fernando and M.S Dimuthu Kumar
- Co-author of a book titled “Disaster Risk Management: Case Studies in South Asia (2019)”by R. Lalitha S Fernando, Huong Ha, and Sanjeev Kumar Mahajan, BEP (Business Expert Press, ISBN 9781949443066)
- Editor of a book titled Disaster Risk Management in Agriculture: Case Studies in South Asian Countries by Lalitha S. Fernando, Huong Ha, and Sanjeev Kumar Mahajan, Business Expert Press, LLC, 2019, USA, ISBN 9781949443066
The following chapters of the books were written by R. Lalitha S. Fernando
- Strategic Disaster Risk Management in Asia: an Introduction by Huong Ha, R. Lalitha S. Fernando and Amir Mahmood.
- Disaster Management in Asia: Lessons Learned and Policy Implications by Huong Ha, R. Lalitha S. Fernando and Amir Mahmood.
- Effectiveness of Administrative Preparedness: A Case Study on Flooding Conditions in Ambagamuwa Korale Division of Nuwara Eliya District in Sri Lanka by R. Lalitha S. Fernando and Aruna Muthulingam.
- An Analysis of the Effectiveness of Implementing Public Awareness, Education and Training Programmes as a Risk Reduction Strategy in Disaster Management in Sri Lanka by R. Lalitha S. Fernando, M. W. M. Abeykoon and K. M. Premathilaka.
- ප්රනාන්දු, ආර්. එල්. එස. 2017. ශ්රී ලංකාවේ සංවර්ධන ක්රියාවලිවේ දී රාජ්ය මූලය කළමනාකරණවේ භූමිකාව. ජ්ාතික වල්ඛනාගාරය හා මුලය වල්ඛන – සමරු කළඹ 2017, ජ්ාතික වල්ඛනාරක්ෂක වෙපාර්තවේන්දුව. ISBN NO: 978-955-9016-33-5.
- Building Resilience to Natural Disasters: Toward Sustainable Agricultural Practices in Sri Lanka by R. Lalitha S. Fernando, M.S. Dimuthu Kumari, and W.M.D.M. Dissanayaka
- Disaster Risk Management in Agriculture: Case Studies in South Asia-An Introduction by R. Lalitha S. Fernando, Huong Ha, and Sanjeev Kumar Mahajan
- Disaster Risk Management in the Agricultural Sector in South Asia: Lessons Learned and Policy Implications by R. Lalitha S. Fernando, Huong Ha, and Sanjeev Kumar Mahajan
- Disaster Risk Management: Case Studies in South Asia- An Introduction by R. Lalitha S. Fernando, Huong Ha, and Sanjeev Kumar Mahajan
- Disaster Risk Management: Case Studies in South Asia – What have we learned from the South Asian Experience? by R. Lalitha S. Fernando, Huong Ha, and Sanjeev Kumar Mahajan
The following chapters of the book “A Better world” (2017), volume 2, published by Tudor Rose, ISBN 978-0-9956487-1-5 were written jointly by R. Lalitha S. Fernando
- Towards an effective and accountable public service delivery for rebuilding in the war- affected area in Sri Lanka. R Lalitha S Fernando, and W. M. D. M. Dissanayaka.
- The right to information for a better world with special reference to Sri Lanka. R Lalitha S Fernando, and H. O. C. Gunasekara.
At Undergraduate level
Subjects/courses Programme Institutions
- Public Management
- Research Methodology 1 &11
- Political Environment
- E – governance
- Policy Analysis and Decision Making
At Postgraduate level
- Public Policy Analysis and Decision Making
- E- Governance
- Project Presentation/Supervision
- Research Methodology
- Public Sector Management
- Sustainable Development and Environmental Management
▪ Public Management
▪ Educational Management
▪ Poverty Alleviation
▪ Waste Management
▪ E- Governance.