Research Center of Governance and Public Policy
The Research Center of Governance and Public Policy was established in January 2018 by the Department of Public Administration, Faculty of Management Studies and Commerce of the University of Sri Jayewardenepura with the aim of promoting and enhancing a dynamic and open research culture in the public sector.
Any government’s main responsibility is to improve public sector performance while maintaining economic growth and development. Universities and academic institutions could assist governments to achieve this responsibility as research could provide proper direction in improving public sector organizational performance and accelerating the development. However, the number of research conducted annually related to the field of public policy analysis and governance in the country is lower when compared to other fields. Thus, the intervention of the scholars to the Public Sector is to be expanded. Especially, Sri Lanka needs to pay its most attention to unattended issues of the public sector. Therefore, it is high time to address the prevailing issues of the public sector and development. Hence, this research center may fill this gap and promote public sector research to address current issues pertaining to the public sector.
To become the leading research center for public policy analysis and governance in Sri Lanka while establishing a research culture related to the field in the country.
To carry out high-quality research and publications, collaborating with international and national partners to promote research culture and enhancing the reputation in the area of public policy analysis and governance.
Following main objectives are expected to be achieved by establishing the “Research Centre of Governance and Public Policy” for enhancing the research culture related to the public policy analysis and governance within the Department of Public Administration and the University.
- Conducting high-quality research and publishing research in high impact journals.
- Establishing strong links between the Department of Public Administration and the government/ Government institutions and other interested industry in terms of research related to the field of public policy analysis and governance.
- Establishing collaboration & partnerships with international universities/scholars & research institutes/funding agencies.
- Contributing to the national development by finding effective solutions related to socio-economic problems of the country.
In order to achieve the objectives, the following activities are suggested.
- Undertaking individual and group researchers from the industry including the public sector.
- Facilitating opportunities for obtaining research grants from outside the university through establishing the partnership and collaboration with funding agencies.
- Facilitating researchers to publish their research nationally and internationally.
- Developing links among local and international universities, research institutions, public/businesses sectors for research and consultancy.
- Undertaking consultancy assignments from the government and private sector organizations.
- Conducting training programs and workshops to enhance research skills of the academicians/undergraduates/post-graduates/ and other interested parties.
- Establishing an International research conference and publishing an International Journal of Governance and Public Policy Analysis.
Senior. Prof. (Mrs.) R. Lalitha. S. Fernando, Head of the Department of Public Administration.
Members of the Board
- Dr. U. Anura Kumara, Dean of the faculty of Management Studies and Commerce.
- Prof. Y. K. Weerakoon Banda, Director of the Research Center for Management Studies and Commerce (RC-MSC) (member of the Faculty Research Committee).
- Dr. M. H. A. Sisira Kumara, Senior Lecturer of the Department of Public Administration.
- Dr. L. A. P. Madhuwanthi, Senior Lecturer of the Department of Public Administration.
- Mr. H. T. Kamal Pathmasiri, Secretary of the Ministry of Provincial Councils and Local Government, Sri Lanka.
- Mr. Nayananada Nilwala, Secretary of the Ministry of Agriculture, Land Irrigation, Fisheries Animal Product & Health and Agrarian Development, Western Provincial Council.
The Chairperson of the Faculty Research Committee – Ex- office post
Senior. Prof. (Mrs.) R. Lalitha. S. Fernando.
Senior Assistant Bursar of the Faculty – Ex-office post
Senior Assistant Bursar of the Faculty of Management Studies and Commerce