This certificate course will be offered for the first time in 2023, and it will provide a foundation of quantitative methods by examining the fundamental statistical theory that drives common statistical procedures as well as specific procedures relevant to various sectors. This course introduces participants to the management and analysis of quantitative data using a suitable software package. The course delves into the nature of quantitative data, the relationship between quantitative analysis and theory development, and some of the major statistical topic areas. Knowing these allows for a more in-depth understanding of other people’s research, particularly those reported in journals and government publications. Furthermore, these techniques are used in a variety of research settings, including non-profit organizations, for-profit research institutes, and local, state, and national government agencies. The course focuses on general-purpose statistical data
analysis as well as more advanced medical statistics, multivariate analysis, and time series applications.
This course aims to provide participants with extensive knowledge and the skills required to perform statistical operations using commonly available software tools. The program also aims to increase understanding of research strategies as well as the methodological and technological limitations of statistical techniques and applications. It teaches participants how to input and organize data to make it more convenient for specific research purposes, as well as how to use the most appropriate software for scientific and business research.
This course also teaches participants how to represent research results in an appropriate manner and present the information in a user-friendly format, as well as the theory and applications of appropriate statistical techniques and data interpretation for decision-making.
Intended Learning Outcomes
Analytical and Statistical Skills
- Ability to conduct research analysis within the context of the overall research logic, using acceptable statistical approaches for the specific study frameworks and hypotheses.
- Understand the nature and logic of composition and interpretation for underlying statistical criteria and techniques.
- Understanding of the relationship between the statistical results obtained and the processes occurring in actual life.
- Depending on the nature of the analysis, choose relevant software.
- Create datasheets, create required outputs, and arrange them as needed for report preparation.
- Use associated applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) as additional tools to help
with output presentation.
- Capability to create reports on statistical data analysis in appropriate formats, particularly in the medical sector (academic reports, business reports, and scientific articles).
- The ability to describe the reasons behind selecting and implementing various processes for specific research projects.
- The ability to select presentation approaches based on the demands of the target audience.
- Introduction to Statistical Software
- Descriptive Analysis of Data
- Fundamentals Inferential Statistics
- Comparison of Means
- Introduction to Design of Experiments
- Testing Associations and Relationships between Variables
- Modelling Relationships between Variables
- Introduction to Multivariate Analysis
- Analysis of Multivariate Responses
- Time Series Analysis
This course specially designed for an audience related to the medical sector and the
- In-service executives and professionals who wish to enhance their effective decision
- Employees of government and private research institutes who seek to develop their
- Postgraduate students who intend to improve their knowledge on data analysis
- University and other academic staff members who wish to enhance their knowledge
and skills in quantitative data analysis.
The candidates should be eligible to apply for Certificate in Advanced Data Analysis if he/she
satisfies one of the following requirements.
- A bachelor’s degree from a recognized university.
- Professional/Academic diploma/certificate accepted by the university senate with at
least two years of working experience.
The course shall provide:
- 48 hours (8 weeks) of lectures and computer practical sessions on Sunday from
9:00am to 4:00 pm
- Reading material and aids
- Complementary advisory and troubleshooting support services through electronic media.
- Course fee of Rs. 38,000/-
- Application Processing Fee of Rs. 1000/-
- Registration fee of Rs. 1000/-
During the period of study, the participants should complete 70 per cent attendance (at least 11 sessions out of 16). At the end of the practical sessions, participants have to sit for a 3-hour practical examination that will account for 100 marks. The participants who have to fulfil the attendance requirement are only eligible for this final examination. At the end of the course, participants are awarded a certificate of successful completion when they have obtained at least 40 per cent of the total marks.
Any participant who will not be able to sit for the final practical exam due to a valid reason accepted by the department, will not be awarded the certificate and they will be allowed to sit as a privileged participant with the following batch in order to be eligible for the award of
the certificate. Any participant who will not be able to sit for the final practical exam and fail to provide a valid reason accepted by the department, will not be awarded the certificate and they will be allowed to sit as a repeat participant with a following batch in order to be eligible for the award of the certificate. Any participant has two consecutive attempts to sit for the final practical examination.
Apply in here: CADA Application Form
Application Instruction: CADA Application Instructions
Computer Based Data Analysis Training Programme
Department of Decision Sciences
University of Sri Jayewardenepura,
Tel: 071 449 7670