The Department of Business Administration is the pioneer in Business Management Education in the University System of Sri Lanka. Since its establishment in 1980, the Department remains the largest academic department of the Faculty of Management Studies and Commerce of the University of Sri Jayewardenepura.
The Department offers a globally competitive four-year special degree in Business Management, B.Sc. Business Administration (Special) Degree, and a three-year external degree, B.Sc. Business Studies (General) External Degree.
The curriculum of the B.Sc. Business Studies (General) External Degree is designed to develop potential managers who can lead the World of Work while being socially and ethically responsible towards the society.
The role of the Department in the Faculty of Management Studies and Commerce is unique and significant in that it provides teaching and research support for students in other departments and postgraduate programmes of the Faculty, mainly in the areas of Management, Organisational Behaviour, Strategy, and International Business Management.
In its long history, the Department has immensely contributed to the progress of management education, the corporate sector, and the wider society of Sri Lanka. Its alumni include renowned corporate leaders, scholars, businesspersons, government officials, and community leaders.
The members of the Department are active in research across broad areas of Management and Organisation Studies. In order to enrich the research culture of the Department, the Department has recently organised its research activities under three clusters: The Cluster for Organisation & Society (COS), the Cluster for Leadership & Strategy (CLaS), and the Cluster for Knowledge Management & Business Innovation (CKMBI). The research clusters provide a scholarly platform for local and global researchers as well as the members of the Department to share their ideas and work.
Duration : Three (03) Years/Six (06) Semesters
Medium : Sinhala/English
Credits : 96 Credits
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Principles of Management||Developing Managerial Competencies|
|Economics for Managers||Information Technology for Managers|
|Quantitative Techniques for Managers||Business Law|
|Business Communication||Accounting for Managers|
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Organisational Behaviour||Managing for Productivity and Quality|
|Human Resource Management||Financial Management|
|Marketing Management||Business Information Systems|
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Business Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility||Strategic Management|
|Operations Research||Organisational Change and Development|
|Digital Business||International Business Management|
|Development Economics||Human Resource Development|
- shall have at least three “C” passes at a single sitting of G.C.E. Advanced Level Examination including at least one of the subjects in the following list:
- Business Studies
- Business Statistics
- Combined Mathematics
- Higher Mathematics
- Information & Communication Technology
- shall have passed the Selection Test conducted by the Department, and
- shall not be less than 18 years.
Scholarships and Bursaries
A limited number of full and partial scholarships and bursaries will be offered based on candidates’ academic merits and/or economic circumstances.
It is essential that the applicants deposit the due amount of money at the bank and retrieve a receipt for the payment, prior to the completion of the application according to the instructions given below.
- An amount of Rs. 1300/- should be credited to Account number 072010007127, through any People’s Bank branch, to the Gangodawila branch of People’s Bank of the External Degrees and Extension Courses Unit of the University of Sri Jayewardenepura. The receipt should be attached with the application. It is essential that the payment should be made to the correct account number in relation to the respective degree program applied. (It is advisable to keep a photocopy of the receipt with the applicant).
- Duly completed application form should be submitted online via the web link below: http://external.sjp.ac.lk/external-degree-registration-2019/
- A copy of the application should be downloaded and posted via registered post to the address given below. A certified copy of the birth certificate, certified copies of certificates related to educational qualifications and a certified copy of the NIC should be attached with application. The bank receipt should be sent with the application.
(Note: the name of the Degree Programme should be mentioned on the top left corner of the envelope)
Instructions to Candidates
- There is no affiliated unit or institute that undertakes/performs the duties and responsibilities of the External Degrees and Extension Courses Unit (EDECU). The candidate himself/herself should send the application. The EDECU does not take any responsibility for applications sent by any third parties.
- The application fee of Rs. 1300/- is non-refundable.
- Delayed and incomplete applications will be rejected.
- Applications which are not in the correct format will be rejected.
Please send your applications to:
The Assistant Registrar
External Degrees & Extension Courses Unit
P.O. Box No: 10
University of Sri Jayewardenepura
Gangodawila, Nugegoda – 10250.
Primary Point Of Contact
External Degree Programme Coordinator,
Department of Business Administration.
Other Important Info