About Bachelor of Commerce (General) External Degree
Department of Commerce was established in 1972 at the very outset of the Faculty of Management Studies and Commerce. It offered the prestigious B.Com (special) degree in English medium. The department commenced an external degree program in Commerce for externally registered students and offered a four year B.Com (special) external degree program in 1975. Later in 1996, B.Com (special) external degree program was replaced by a three year general external degree programme in Commerce including fifteen (15) subjects.
With the emerging requirements of the society particularly in higher education sector, the department identified that the programme needed to shape and align with the emerging realities in wider society. The department revised existing degree pragramme in 2012 and the revised curriculum consists of eighteen (18) compulsory courses and one (01) non-credit course. The department provides a highly reputed and successful B.Com (General) external degree program in Sinhala and English mediums.
The programme is a three year general degree which has been designed to be a 90 credit course and thereby it is being complied with Sri Lanka Qualifications Framework (SLQF). As such the objectives of introducing the B. Com (Special) External Degree programme are as follows:
- To improve the quality and relevance of the external degree programme in catering to the national requirements.
- To maintain the highest standards on par with the internal Degree Programme by developing skillful graduates with positive attitudes who possess more confidence and competence to work independently at their working places.
- To look for remedial measures confirming to the current policy framework and guidelines introduced for external degree programmes.
- To offer a comprehensive programme of study in Commerce with a wide coverage of related subjects for those who missed the privilege of university education, and as such, to discharge a national duty of empowering Sri Lankan students with a higher education qualification of national and international reputation and recognition in order to help prosper their lives.
- Generating substantial financial resources to the university and the country
Expected Learning Outcomes of the Programme
On the successful completion of the external degree program students must be geared up to take real world challenges and have confidence and capability to fulfill the aspiration of the Department of Commerce in the University of Sri Jayewardenepura. Aim of the Department and vision of the University is essentially founded on the concept of nation building, and national institutions. Having said that, the ideal student the department anticipates on the completion of the external degree program should have;
- Acquired a general knowledge and theoretical and conceptual understanding in the broad area of Commerce and Management.
- Aptitude to comprehend the role of the Commerce and Management in the national economy and influence on economic development of changes in the broad field of Commerce and Management
- Ability to perform any task within the scope of the degree program independently
- Developed soft skills and other transferable skills such as interpersonal skills, leadership qualities, oral and writing skills, presentation skill, computer literacy etc, essential for effective communication and productive team work
- Obtained self-confidence sufficient to be independent, a self-starter for an innovative career preferably as an entrepreneur by conquering potential challenges and risk.
Further, for internal students who have not completed their respective degree programmes within seven years or whose registration been withdrawn by the student himself may join the external degree programme. The subjects that have been already completed within the internal degree programme by those students will be exempted from the relevant subjects in the external degree programme.
Primary Point Of Contact
Department of Commerce
Faculty of Management Studies & Commerce
University of Sri Jayewardenepura