About B.Com. (Special) Degree
The curriculum of the B.Com Degree (Special) provides a carefully blended subject combination in Economics, Accountancy, Management, Entrepreneurship, Decision Sciences and Commercial Law. The curriculum has recently been revised to lay a broad and sound foundation for students to pursue professional careers and more advanced study in Commerce and Management. The Department provides research training to produce graduates who are eligible to investigate and solve complex real world commerce related problems. Both theoretical and empirical studies pertaining to any area of significance to industry and the economy are accommodated. To facilitate this research training, a lecturer is appointed as a supervisor to provide academic guidance from formulation of the problem to report writing. In addition to that, it seeks to help in upgrading the quality of the undergraduate programme by creating corporate sector links with the department. In line with that, Internship or Practical Training provides a supervised learning and work experience in areas pertaining to the general field of Commerce and Management with a view to promoting the overall quality of the program.
Programme Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
- Acquired a general knowledge and theoretical and conceptual understanding in the broad area of Commerce and Management.
- Aptitude to comprehend the role of the Commerce and Management in the national economy and influence on economic development of changes in the broad field of Commerce and Management
- Technical knowledge and skills at benchmark level to identify and collect relevant information or data, and to analyse and interpret the outcome to capture the issue and make necessary recommendations to either to overcome detrimental effects or improve the favourable effects.
- Ability to perform any task within the scope of the degree program independently and extrapolate within reasonable horizon.
- Talent to search for new knowledge and achieve academic excellence through research.
- Developed soft skills and other transferable skills such as interpersonal skills, leadership qualities, oral and writing skills, presentation skill, computer literacy etc., essential for effective communication and productive team work.
- Obtained self-confidence sufficient to be independent, a self-starter for an innovative career preferably as an entrepreneur by conquering potential challenges and risk.
- Desire to embark upon higher postgraduate studies inspired by the thirst for further knowledge and love for life-long learning.
- Capacity to be a quick learner, competent to achieve career progress through enhanced performance and display of high level professionalism.
Degree Programme News
JESA Best Innovator 2022
It is with great pride that we announce Yenuka Rupasinghe a final year undergraduate of the department was recognized as the JESA Best Innovator at the JESA Awards Ceremony 2022 held on the 27th September 2022 at the Hotel Eagles’ Lakeside.
Primary Point Of Contact
Department of Commerce
Faculty of Management Studies & Commerce
University of Sri Jayewardenepura