Master of Science in Business Economics (MSc (BEc))
To be eligible for admission to the MSc (BEc) programme, an applicant should hold any of the following qualifications and a sound knowledge of English.
(1) A Bachelor’s degree SLQF 6 or SLQF 5/NVQ 7 with a class standing in Business Economics or in relevant discipline from a recognised University/Degree awarding institute
(2) A Bachelor’s degree (SLQF 5/NVQ7) without class standing, in Business Economics or in relevant discipline from a recognised University/ Degree awarding institute
one-year post-qualifying relevant experience
(3) Postgraduate Certificate in Business Economics or in relevant discipline (equivalent to SLQF 7) not less than one year or above from a recognised university/degree awarding institute or from a recognised University.
(4) A Member of a professional institute in relevant discipline
(5) A Passed Finalist of a professional institute in relevant discipline
Two-year post-qualifying relevant experience
(6) A Bachelor’s Degree (SLQF 5 or 6) in any other discipline from a recognised University/Degree awarding institute
Two-year post-qualifying relevant experience (equivalent to 3000 working hours in the relevant discipline)
(7) Postgraduate Certificate in any other discipline (equivalent to SLQF 7) not less than one year or above from a recognised university/degree awarding institute or from a recognised University.
Two-year relevant experience
(8) A Member of a professional institute in any other discipline or Attorney-at-Law
Two-year relevant experience
(9) A Passed Finalist of a professional institute in any discipline
Three-year post-qualifying relevant experience
(10) Any other qualification accepted by the Senate of the University of Sri Jayewardenepura
The selection procedure consists of the following steps:
- The received applications are screened to ensure that applicants meet the admission requirements.
- Applicants who meet the basic requirements are called for an aptitude test. This test is designed to assess the English proficiency and quantitative skills necessary to do the MSc (BEc) programme and the level of intelligence of the candidates.
- A formal interview will then be conducted for those who obtain more than 50 percent for the aptitude test. The interview will be conducted to assess the verbal competence in English, the candidate’s motivation for higher studies and the commitment to pursue the programme to its completion.
- Final selection will be done after the consideration of the total marks obtained at the aptitude test and interview.
- Students who are selected for the programme can select specialization from the offered specialization fields of the programme at the end of the first semester of the First Year
- The programmes of specialization fields that have a sufficient number of students will be then offered in a particular year.
Options / Selections
This programme offers two options for its applicants and the details are presented under Option A and Option B.
This option is offered for the candidates who wish to pursue an international career, an academic career, or who wish to pursue further studies in their specialization area. In the Year I, the students will undergo a thorough training in theoretical aspects and its applications. In the Year II, students are allowed to select a specialized area out of four major specialization areas offered by the Department. Under this option, a greater priority will be given to the research component in the Second Year. The specialization areas are stated below along with their descriptions.
This option is offered as a general programme in the M.Sc. programme and it caters mainly to the employees of the corporate sector and the public sector. This option enables the students to participate in workshops and guest lecturers conducted by world class leaders and practitioners in the business world during the Second Year of the programme. Guest lectures and domestic workshops will be based on current economic affairs and application of economics into the real world. At the same time, the students would receive first-hand experience in organizing and running projects by implementing an individual project in the Second Year of the programme.