The Faculty of Management Studies and Commerce (FMSC) ceremonially welcomed the new batch of students to the Faculty on the 30th October 2017. A batch of 1216 students who had obtained highest marks in the GCE (A/L) 2016 examination in the Commerce stream were privileged to enter this leading and the largest Management Faculty in Sri Lanka. The inauguration ceremony was held with the presence of Vice Chancellor, Prof. Sampath Amarathunge as the chief guest, Dean- FMSC, Dr. U Anura Kumara, deans of the other faculties, heads of all departments of FMSC and all the academic staff members of the faculty, representatives of non- academic staff and senior students of the faculty.
The Inauguration ceremony was followed by a comprehensive orientation program which lasted for a week. Some of the highlights from the programme are stated below;
- A Leadership and Personality Development day was organized in collaboration with the physical education unit of the university
- Guest lectures were conducted by eminent figures in the country on the following themes;
- The renowned scholar, Prof. Saman Chandra Ranasignhe on the theme “The Art of Living”
- Meegoda Sukitha thero on “Sober University Life”
- DIG Mr. Sanjeewa Madewaththa on Law and Order
- Aruna Shantha Gamage on “ How to become and Effective Undergraduate”
- Awareness lectures were conducted by the Medical Centre, Welfare Unit,Carrer Guidance Unit, Library, ITRC, Business Communication Unit and the Proctor to give the students a basic introduction to support services and regulations
- Students Council, Japura Flames, Rotaract Club and the Gavels Club got the opportunity to address the new batch of students and share their experience
- A talent show was organized to showcase the aesthetic skills of new students
- A field tour was organized to take the students around the university and to introduce them to the major institutions, divisions and academic establishments
The orientation programme was a great success and bestowed many memorable experiences to the new batch of students of FMSC.